Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Sharing in the Secret Life of Walter Mitty



 
     Ben Stiller has a natural talent for playing decent guys who inevitably get pulled under the steamroller. Stiller is great at portraying pain to comic effect. This is not one of those movies.

     Walter Mitty is an average, sweet guy who at some point in his life stopped having fun and played it very, very careful. He has a crush on a co-worker, but he can't work up the nerve. She's on eHarmony. He creates a profile page and lingers hesitantly over the send button. Should he send the online wink to his crush or not? A social misfit around people, he might say, “dirkly”, instead of “directly”. He often escapes into his daydreaming--- even in the middle of a conversation!

     It’s not a sad movie, though. It’s an honest movie. There aren’t enough movies like it. Somewhere along the way, we’re much less honest with ourselves and with each other than I remember. The world is so easily offended. Integrity, faith and yes, following a dream carries with it now a greater social penalty than before.

     Walter Mitty breaks out of his fear and goes out into foreign countries in search of a weathered, legendary photographer who he’s collaborated with at the magazine he works for. The reason is absurd! And yet, Walter has been taught like the rest of us that anything that does not fall in line with a routine and risk free life is absurd. He breaks free, traveling lonely roads and literally thrust into danger. He’s walking by faith.



     When I was in my 20’s, I went to the wedding reception of a woman who made an indelible mark in my life. I had just finished a show and we stood outside of the theater talking. She was the mother of a fellow actor. I remember she gazed into my eyes and poured out overflowing encouragement about how special my talent was. It gave me such pause that I felt disconnected from my legs -- we must’ve talked alone for 30 minutes or longer. When you meet people like that you don’t kick them to curb. Well, later on, I learned she was getting married and it was in New Jersey. I went off late to the Port Authority with the address. I asked questions and I got out there (this is before I ever used the internet). I remember walking alone for blocks through a town I had never been in. Lots of trees, houses, but along the way the comforting presence of a convenience store or the familiarity of a pizza shop. The hot sun was beginning to set. I murmured prayers to God so I wouldn't be stranded. I had no way of knowing I could get a ride back to New York City. When I finally got there, I walked into the reception area a little disheveled and sweaty, holding flowers in my hand. I caught the surprise exclamations of fellow actors in nearby tables. It was nice. Watching Walter Mitty walk through Iceland and the Himalayas for his friend reminded me that I can do that sort of thing. I still look back on those times and marvel. I guess because like a lot of us we always think the worst of what could happen. And that always stops us.

     The scene where Walter's crush sings to him has special meaning for me (I recommend the soundtrack). This is more than just a wonderful story to watch. It's an encouragement for anyone who still daydreams despite the criticism. Walter Mitty joins the list of my average guy cinematic heroes.


Originally posted September 11, 2014





No comments: